List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 14 2002 9:46pm
Subject:RE: problem in telent to mysql server
View as plain text
>Thanks for your advices.
>

>In the offical mysql webpage, there is a paragraph tell us how to usinng
>telnet test mysql server connectivity.

That test tells you only whether or not there's a MySQL server listening
on the port.  It doesn't tell you that you should actually try to communicate
with the server in any way.

If the server is running and you're having problems establishing a connection
to it using a program that actually uses a client-server API (like a
JDBC driver), then the problem is that the grant tables don't have an
entry for
the MySQL user and password that you're supplying.

You might find it easier to perform your testing by using the "mysql"
client program from the command line.

>http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/a/Can_not_connect_to_server.html
>
>If you get the error message Can't connect to MySQL server on
>some_hostname, you can try the following things to find out what the
>problem is :
>
>Check if the serveis up by doing telnet your-host-name tcp-ip-port-number
>and press Enter a couple of times. If there is a MySQL server running on
>this port you should get a responses that includes the version number of
>the running MySQL server. If you get an error like telnet: Unable to
>connect to remote host: Connection refused, then there is no server
>running on the given port.

>Why i do this test is because I have trouble to use jdbc to connect to
>mysql server and i am afraid that my mysql server is not configureed
>properly. (I have redhat 7.2 os)

Thread
where are my.cnf anf mysql log file.Jianping Zhu14 Mar
  • problem in telent to mysql serverJianping Zhu14 Mar
    • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverTodd Williamsen14 Mar
      • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverJianping Zhu14 Mar
    • Re: problem in telent to mysql serverPaul DuBois14 Mar
      • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverTodd Williamsen14 Mar
        • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverPaul DuBois14 Mar
          • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverJianping Zhu14 Mar
            • RE: problem in telent to mysql serverPaul DuBois14 Mar
  • Re: where are my.cnf anf mysql log file.ds14 Mar
RE: problem in telent to mysql serverKenneth Hylton14 Mar