List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Frederik Lindberg Date:August 16 1999 2:26am
Subject:Re: ezmlm-send: fatal...
View as plain text
Paul DuBois writes:

> At 1:24 AM -0400 8/15/99, toxalot@stripped wrote:
> >Interesting that you got this. I tied to send it twice and both times it
> >came back with the following error:
> >
> >"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at www2.analytikerna.se.
> >I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
> >This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> >
> ><mysql@stripped>:
> >ezmlm-send: fatal: message already has a Mailing-List header (maybe I
> >should be a sublist) (#5.7.2)"
> >
> >Has this happened to anyone else?
>

> Yes, I'm getting one of these each time I send a message to the list.
> I've noticed it over the last couple of days.

I'm at postmaster@stripped. Forward the entire message to that
address or to me directly. The bad subscriber address will be apparent in
the List-Unsubscribe header.

Here is what happens (I've seen the errors in the log, but we don't keep
the actual single bounce messages):

You post. Your address is in the From: header. The list sends it out that
way, but puts in it's own envelope sender. Normal bounces go there and are
handled automatically. Misbehaving MTA send the bounce to the From: address
instead. You get it. Forward it to postmaster and I'll remove the bad
address (list-owner goes to MySQL staff which are probably very busy with
meeting and Monty's absence).

In this case, some joker is boucing the message back to the list with the
posters address as the envelope sender. This is malicious (and the envelope
sender change an attempt at circumventing subscriber-only checks) or a very
screwed up config. The list recognizes the error and bounces the message to
the envelope sender (you).

-Sincerely, Fred
Frederik Lindberg, Inf. Dis, WashU, St. Louis, MO

PS: If someone seriously screws with the list we can very easily go to a
moderated format. A bit of a pain and needing a bunch of volunteers in
different time zones, but very well supported by the software.
Thread
LAST_INSERT_ID()toxalot15 Aug
  • Re: LAST_INSERT_ID()Paul DuBois15 Aug
    • Re: LAST_INSERT_ID()toxalot15 Aug
      • Re: LAST_INSERT_ID()Thimble Smith15 Aug
      • ezmlm-send: fatal...Paul DuBois15 Aug
        • Re: ezmlm-send: fatal...Darrell Shifflett15 Aug
          • Re: ezmlm-send: fatal...Darrell Shifflett15 Aug
        • Re: ezmlm-send: fatal...Martin Ramsch15 Aug
        • Re: ezmlm-send: fatal...Frederik Lindberg16 Aug
  • Re: LAST_INSERT_ID()Martin Ramsch15 Aug