List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 15 1999 5:34pm
Subject:Re: MySQL ISP issues
View as plain text
>If I were a customer of an ISP, I would want the following with regards
>to MySQL:
>
> - The admin having a decent understanding of MySQL
> - Shell access to the server with the setup so that I can read the logs
>when things go wrong
> - Option of having a dedicated server or being able to share one server
>with only a few other clients that I trust
> - Good security: SSH, firewall, no funny unnecessary services, firewall
>blocking port 3306 for external connections

All good common-sense ideas.  About your second item: the logs contain
the text of queries (like SET PASSWORD!), so how would you balance the
desire on the part of the customer for access to information with the
desire on the part of the admin to preserve the privacy of other customers?

Or was that the idea of your third item -- since by setting up multiple
servers, one per group of clients, you could keep each of them from reading
the others' logs?

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread