List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:August 15 1999 4:55pm
Subject:Re: MySQL ISP issues
View as plain text
Paul DuBois wrote:

> Let me preface this message by noting that, without trying to take
> anything away from the O'Reilly MySQL book, I also am writing a book
> about MySQL.
>
> One of the chapters I'm planning to include will deal with the issues
> involved with MySQL and Internet service providers.  It'll cover both
> the kinds of things you want to look for when choosing an ISP as a
> customer, and the kinds of things ISPs can do to provide better MySQL
> service to their customers.
>
> To that end, I'd like to solicit input from readers of this list, since
> I know many of you access MySQL through an ISP or are ISPs yourself.
> There are the obvious types of things to ask when choosing an ISP,
> such as whether their version of MySQL is reasonably up to date and
> what their upgrade policy is, or whether they allow you to run MySQL
> through DBI or PHP, etc.  But I'd like to make sure I cover issues
> that go beyond the obvious.
>
> For customers, I'd like to hear about your experiences with your ISP,
> both good and bad - what factors did you find important in choosing
> your ISP, what kinds of things do they do that help you get your work
> done (or not!), what aspects of their service do you find helpful or
> essential?
>
> For ISPs, I'd be interested to hear about such things as what influenced
> you to offer MySQL service (either in addition to or instead of other
> RDBMSs), what's made MySQL difficult or easy to maintain, and so forth.
> Also, what have you found that customers can do to make your job easier
> and to help you provide better service?  (Yes, I realize that in asking
> these questions, I am in a sense asking you to help actual or potential
> competitors. So I may not get many responses here - nevertheless, I won't
> get *any* if I don't ask! :-))
>
> Feel free to reply privately.  If you think your remarks may spur
> discussion, please reply to the list.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

If I were a customer of an ISP, I would want the following with regards
to MySQL:

 - The admin having a decent understanding of MySQL
 - Shell access to the server with the setup so that I can read the logs
when things go wrong
 - Option of having a dedicated server or being able to share one server
with only a few other clients that I trust
 - Good security: SSH, firewall, no funny unnecessary services, firewall
blocking port 3306 for external connections

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com