List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 15 1999 4:29pm
Subject:Re: Now I have "installed" mySQL and now what? :)
View as plain text
At 5:50 PM +0200 8/15/99, Magnus Hammar wrote:
> > If you installed it from official RPM, then it does automatically. By
>> hand you can run:
>>
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql stop
>
>But if I want the mySQL server to start at boot time, how do I do then?
>
>"To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
>to the right place for your system"
>
>Where should the "support-files/mysql.server" be?

That's if you're installing startup/shutdown scripts automatically.
If you installed as Tonu said, then the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
are run for you automatically and you don't need to do anything when
the system comes up/goes down.

> >> And can I simply type "mysql" in the command prompt to edit the
>database and
>>> som on?
>>   Yes. Start with commands:
>
>Byt how can i get a mysql prompt where I can type this?
>I have seen a server where you just type:
>[root@aladdin /]#mysql
>Then you get:
>mysql>
>
>But I can't get anything like that why? ;)

Find out where mysql is installed on your system, then make sure
that directory is in your shell's search path.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread