List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 14 1999 5:34pm
Subject:Re: MySQL ISP issues
View as plain text
>Please see doncaster.on.ca.  I have nothing but good things to say about
>their service.  They offer virtual hosting at very competitive prices.
>They use mysql version 3.22.22 on linux.

Perhaps I should clarify.  I am not looking to choose an ISP.  I am
interested in the issues other people have found important in choosing
an ISP, to improve my discussion of how one goes about this process.
Thanks.

> >Let me preface this message by noting that, without trying to take
>>anything away from the O'Reilly MySQL book, I also am writing a book
>>about MySQL.
>>
>>One of the chapters I'm planning to include will deal with the issues
>>involved with MySQL and Internet service providers.  It'll cover both
>>the kinds of things you want to look for when choosing an ISP as a
>>customer, and the kinds of things ISPs can do to provide better MySQL
>>service to their customers.
>>
>>To that end, I'd like to solicit input from readers of this list, since
>>I know many of you access MySQL through an ISP or are ISPs yourself.
>>There are the obvious types of things to ask when choosing an ISP,
>>such as whether their version of MySQL is reasonably up to date and
>>what their upgrade policy is, or whether they allow you to run MySQL
>>through DBI or PHP, etc.  But I'd like to make sure I cover issues
>>that go beyond the obvious.
>>
>>For customers, I'd like to hear about your experiences with your ISP,
>>both good and bad - what factors did you find important in choosing
>>your ISP, what kinds of things do they do that help you get your work
>>done (or not!), what aspects of their service do you find helpful or
>>essential?
>>
>>For ISPs, I'd be interested to hear about such things as what influenced
>>you to offer MySQL service (either in addition to or instead of other
>>RDBMSs), what's made MySQL difficult or easy to maintain, and so forth.
>>Also, what have you found that customers can do to make your job easier
>>and to help you provide better service?  (Yes, I realize that in asking
>>these questions, I am in a sense asking you to help actual or potential
>>competitors. So I may not get many responses here - nevertheless, I won't
>>get *any* if I don't ask! :-))
>>

>>Feel free to reply privately.  If you think your remarks may spur
>>discussion, please reply to the list.  Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

>Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
>14 Oneida Avenue
>Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
>Tel. 416 203-7465
>Fax. 416 203-3044
>Email cj@stripped

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois14 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesTonu Samuel15 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesSasha Pachev15 Aug
    • Re: MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois15 Aug
  • [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Christian Mack20 Aug
    • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Thimble Smith20 Aug
      • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Michael Widenius22 Aug
  • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Christian Mack8 Sep
Re: MySQL ISP issuesChristopher R. Jones14 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois14 Aug