List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:August 14 1999 5:17pm
Subject:Re: MySQL ISP issues
View as plain text
Please see doncaster.on.ca.  I have nothing but good things to say about
their service.  They offer virtual hosting at very competitive prices.
They use mysql version 3.22.22 on linux.

>Let me preface this message by noting that, without trying to take
>anything away from the O'Reilly MySQL book, I also am writing a book
>about MySQL.
>
>One of the chapters I'm planning to include will deal with the issues
>involved with MySQL and Internet service providers.  It'll cover both
>the kinds of things you want to look for when choosing an ISP as a
>customer, and the kinds of things ISPs can do to provide better MySQL
>service to their customers.
>
>To that end, I'd like to solicit input from readers of this list, since
>I know many of you access MySQL through an ISP or are ISPs yourself.
>There are the obvious types of things to ask when choosing an ISP,
>such as whether their version of MySQL is reasonably up to date and
>what their upgrade policy is, or whether they allow you to run MySQL
>through DBI or PHP, etc.  But I'd like to make sure I cover issues
>that go beyond the obvious.
>
>For customers, I'd like to hear about your experiences with your ISP,
>both good and bad - what factors did you find important in choosing
>your ISP, what kinds of things do they do that help you get your work
>done (or not!), what aspects of their service do you find helpful or
>essential?
>
>For ISPs, I'd be interested to hear about such things as what influenced
>you to offer MySQL service (either in addition to or instead of other
>RDBMSs), what's made MySQL difficult or easy to maintain, and so forth.
>Also, what have you found that customers can do to make your job easier
>and to help you provide better service?  (Yes, I realize that in asking
>these questions, I am in a sense asking you to help actual or potential
>competitors. So I may not get many responses here - nevertheless, I won't
>get *any* if I don't ask! :-))
>

>Feel free to reply privately.  If you think your remarks may spur
>discussion, please reply to the list.  Thanks.
>
>--
>Paul DuBois, paul@stripped

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

Thread
MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois14 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesTonu Samuel15 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesSasha Pachev15 Aug
    • Re: MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois15 Aug
  • [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Christian Mack20 Aug
    • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Thimble Smith20 Aug
      • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Michael Widenius22 Aug
  • Re: [RFE] SET OPTION PASSWORD was (MySQL ISP issues)Christian Mack8 Sep
Re: MySQL ISP issuesChristopher R. Jones14 Aug
  • Re: MySQL ISP issuesPaul DuBois14 Aug