List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 14 1999 3:14pm
Subject:MySQL ISP issues
View as plain text
Let me preface this message by noting that, without trying to take
anything away from the O'Reilly MySQL book, I also am writing a book
about MySQL.

One of the chapters I'm planning to include will deal with the issues
involved with MySQL and Internet service providers.  It'll cover both
the kinds of things you want to look for when choosing an ISP as a
customer, and the kinds of things ISPs can do to provide better MySQL
service to their customers.

To that end, I'd like to solicit input from readers of this list, since
I know many of you access MySQL through an ISP or are ISPs yourself.
There are the obvious types of things to ask when choosing an ISP,
such as whether their version of MySQL is reasonably up to date and
what their upgrade policy is, or whether they allow you to run MySQL
through DBI or PHP, etc.  But I'd like to make sure I cover issues
that go beyond the obvious.

For customers, I'd like to hear about your experiences with your ISP,
both good and bad - what factors did you find important in choosing
your ISP, what kinds of things do they do that help you get your work
done (or not!), what aspects of their service do you find helpful or
essential?

For ISPs, I'd be interested to hear about such things as what influenced
you to offer MySQL service (either in addition to or instead of other
RDBMSs), what's made MySQL difficult or easy to maintain, and so forth.
Also, what have you found that customers can do to make your job easier
and to help you provide better service?  (Yes, I realize that in asking
these questions, I am in a sense asking you to help actual or potential
competitors. So I may not get many responses here - nevertheless, I won't
get *any* if I don't ask! :-))

Feel free to reply privately.  If you think your remarks may spur
discussion, please reply to the list.  Thanks.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread