List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Micheal Mc Evoy Date:March 26 1999 1:23pm
Subject:Re: <Holy War>
View as plain text
My understanding is tht SQL (pronounced SEQUEL) is a offspring of an
experimental/early daabase language called SEQUEL.

As a historical note: I began using SQL in 1985, EVERYONE that I knew,
from database programmers to Comp Sci instructors, all pronounced it
SEQUEL.

BTW, SCSI (pronounced SCUZZY) was suppose to be pronounced SEXY, or at
least the marketdroids wanted that pronunciation.
Most accronyms are pronounced, not spelled out. At least in the language
that is the most confusing - American English.

Just my 2p.

Micheal

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Robert Pruitt wrote:

>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:29:32 -0800
>From: Robert Pruitt <RPruitt@stripped>
>To: mysql@stripped
>Subject: Re: <Holy War>
>
>Fred Read wrote:
>
>> <Holy War>
>> Really, SQL should be pronounced "Ess Queue Ell" in the same
>> way you would pronounce CPU "See Pee You" and not "Kerpooh"
>> or "Sepugh" - it is not an acronym but a set of initials...
>>
>> As a reference, may I refer my learned colleague [and anyone
>> else sad enough to care] to the following URL?
>>
>>     "http://www.mysql.com/Manual/manual.html#IDX2"
>>
>> </Holy War>
>> --
>>
>> If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.

---
Micheal Mc Evoy                                    mjmc@stripped
                                             http://www.whitepine.com

WhitePine Consulting supports the Free Software Foundation and it ideals
by promoting, using and supporting Open Source, GNU and GPL'd Software.

Thread
Re: <Holy War>Robert Pruitt26 Mar
  • Re: <Holy War>Micheal Mc Evoy26 Mar
RE: <Holy War>Ken Kimball26 Mar
  • RE: <Holy War>Terrence W. Zellers26 Mar
  • RE: <Holy War>Bill Gerrard28 Mar