List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 4 2002 9:17pm
Subject:Re: difference between two times
View as plain text
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to get an accurate (nearest 15 minutes would be
>fine) difference between two times that I have in my database.  They are
>both of type time, and are in the format 00:00:00.
>
>For example, if I want the difference between 09:20:00 and 10:43:00, I
>would like it to give me 01:23:00 as the answer, but all I have been able
>to get it to do is give me one.  It is rounding to the nearest hour.
>
>I found this query which seems like it would work, but gives me a NULL
>result set:
>
>SELECT DATE_SUB('11:48:02', INTERVAL '10:37:37' HOUR_SECOND);

For two times t1 and t2, compute the difference in seconds like this:

SELECT TIME_TO_SEC(t2) - TIME_TO_SEC(t1)

If you want the result as a time value, pass it to SEC_TO_TIME():

SELECT SEC_TO_TIME(TIME_TO_SEC(t2) - TIME_TO_SEC(t1))

>I am trying to do all of this from PHP, so if you happen to know of a way
>to make it do the subtraction in PHP without losing all accuracy, please
>let me know.
>
>Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
>Nathan Cowles
>StormNet Communications
>530.897.4069
Thread
difference between two timesNathan Cowles4 Mar
Re: difference between two timesPaul DuBois4 Mar
  • Re: difference between two timesNathan Cowles4 Mar
    • RE: difference between two timesRoger Baklund4 Mar
      • RE: difference between two timesNathan Cowles5 Mar