List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert Pruitt Date:March 26 1999 2:29pm
Subject:Re: <Holy War>
View as plain text
Fred Read wrote:

> <Holy War>
>
> Really, SQL should be pronounced "Ess Queue Ell" in the same
> way you would pronounce CPU "See Pee You" and not "Kerpooh"
> or "Sepugh" - it is not an acronym but a set of initials...
>
> As a reference, may I refer my learned colleague [and anyone
> else sad enough to care] to the following URL?
>
>     "http://www.mysql.com/Manual/manual.html#IDX2"
>
> </Holy War>
> --
>
> If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.

Well, Rich, Just what is an acronym? It's a word formed by combining
initial letters. Mysequel, or even mysqueel for that matter, is in the
same relative position as ain't. For years ain't twern't a word. Today,
however, it's in the dictionary. It's common usage that will dictate, no
matter how many English gurus, or programming gurus, fight for purity.
That is, in my opinion, the beauty of the English language.

I should know. I live in Tennessee. We all be expurts at that type
thang....

Robert

Thread
Re: <Holy War>Robert Pruitt26 Mar
  • Re: <Holy War>Micheal Mc Evoy26 Mar
RE: <Holy War>Ken Kimball26 Mar
  • RE: <Holy War>Terrence W. Zellers26 Mar
  • RE: <Holy War>Bill Gerrard28 Mar