List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:August 13 1999 4:03pm
Subject:Re: Connection problem?
View as plain text
Nelson To wrote:

> hi!!
>
> After I installed the mysql according to the procedure of installing
> documentation, I type mysql in the directory of the mysql/bin/ and it say
> "Can't connect to local MySQL server throught socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) ".
> Why is this message really mean?
>

>         thanks
>
>         Nelson

Hi Nelson

Mysql uses this file for establishing connections via sockets.
If you use MIT-pthreads there will be no such file.
So you can't connect via sockets to mysql.
Just use the IP-address or the full hostname to connect.

This error can occur also, if there isn't a running mysqld daemon on the machine you use
the mysql command.
Check this with :
ps -e|grep mysqld

If there is none, then start it :)

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Connection problem?Nelson To13 Aug
  • Re: Connection problem?Christian Mack13 Aug
    • Re: Connection problem?Dick Griffin30 Aug
      • Re: Connection problem?Jani Tolonen30 Aug