List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:August 12 1999 8:19pm
Subject:Re: not-null clause
View as plain text
Julien CHATELLIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use MySQL 3.22.16 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4. It works fine for what I want
> to do. But I realised that MySQL seems to put a not null clause on every
> field I declare, althou I never precise to do so.
> Does it have to do with the fact I don't declare primary key, but only keys
> and indexes ?
>
> Julien Chatellier

Hi Julien

This must be a bug in the SCO port.
Mysql usually doesn't declare columns NOT NULL by itself.
Normally you have to explicitly declare them that way.

In 3.22.xx you have to declare columns as NOT NULL, if you want to use KEYs on them.
This is independent from the type of key you want to use (KEY, UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY).

In 3.23.2 you can create keys also on columns declared as NULL.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
not-null clauseJulien CHATELLIER12 Aug
  • Re: not-null clauseChristian Mack12 Aug
  • not-null clauseMichael Widenius17 Aug