List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:March 26 1999 10:52am
Subject:Re: invoque a user defined program from MYSQL
View as plain text
"Claudia M. Castaneda" wrote:

> We want to do string comparison using SQL. For instance:
> A user asks to return all the strings that have 'asmmsg' at the beginning.
> The database has strings like:
>         asmmsgiokl      valid
>         ------
>         asmmsgmlsyui    valid
>         ------
>         asmmsbtusd      not valid
>         -----*
>
> Is it possible to do this with SQL?
> I have a routine to do this type of comparison in C; would it be possible
> to embed it in MYSQL?
> ---
> Claudia M. Castaneda

Hi Claudia

Sure you can do this with:
SELECT whatEverYouWant FROM yourTable WHERE string LIKE 'asmmsg%'

With LIKE the %-character is a wildcard for everything or nothing and
the _-character is a wildcard for exactly one character.

If your field yourTable.string is a CHAR, VARCHAR or TEXT type then the search with mysql
is case insesitive.
If your field is a CHAR BINARY, VARCHAR BINARY or BLOB type then the search with mysql is
case sensitive.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
invoque a user defined program from MYSQLClaudia M. Castaneda25 Mar
  • Re: invoque a user defined program from MYSQLVivek Khera25 Mar
  • Re: invoque a user defined program from MYSQLChristian Mack26 Mar