On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:21:36 -0500 (CDT), Ed Carp wrote:
>> THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO KEEP THIS FROM HAPPENING. GET YOUR MAILING LIST
>> BOZOS TO REMOVE ME VERY POLITELY FROM THE LIST. THEN IT IS OVER!
Time for a reality check.
1. Why would anyone associated with this list go out of their way to
cause grief for someone else? The mission is MySQL and support of
2. It is trivial to pose as someone else by E-mail. Envelope senders
are easily forged.
3. It is extremely hard to subscribe an address that you do not control
to the list. Thus, essentially 100% of the subscibers of the list are
on by virtue of themselves having subscibed. Of course, anyone can
forward messages from the list to anywhere they like.
4. It's easy to unsubscribe.
5. If you have problems, courteous list admins are available via
mysql-owner@stripped or postmaster@stripped. Forward a
list message WITH ALL HEADERS to that address and describe what you
want and what you tried and you'll be helped.
6. Accusations without supporting documentation is not very helpful.
Why not provide the messages that caused so much grief together with a
list message and what you want to one of the addresses above? If
someone bombed you by forwarding messages originating from the list, it
won't be hard to tell and it may be trivial to determine which
subscriber is associated with the messages (not necessary guilty of the
As is, your address is not a subscriber and you provide no information
at all to help us remove the appropriate subscriber address, if this
indeed is the problem.
(Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)