List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem Date:February 15 2002 3:49pm
Subject:Re: admin privilege problems
View as plain text
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:16:01PM +0200, Egor Egorov wrote:
> System,
>
> Friday, February 15, 2002, 5:38:51 AM, you wrote:
>
> >> jr> i made the mistake of changing my root password manually in the
> mysql
> >> jr> database. after doing so, i 'flushed privileges'.
> >>
> >> jr> now i'm unable to log on using the root. i've tried to log on using
> the new
> >> jr> password a number of times, but i'm always denied access. strangely
> enough,
> >> jr> other users (that have passwords) can log on successfully without
> providing
> >> jr> a password. does anybody have any recommendations for logging on as
> the root
> >> jr> user ... and fixing this privileges problem?
> >>
> >> Look at: http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Resetting_permissions.html
> >> It will help you.
>
> SAakaTRotP> What if you run into:
> SAakaTRotP> Script started on Thu Feb 14 20:35:44 2002
> SAakaTRotP> doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//var$ mysqladmin -h localhost -u root password
> 'Nathan84'
> SAakaTRotP> mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have
> privileges to update tables in the mysql database to be able to change passwords for
> others'
> SAakaTRotP> doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//var$ exuit   it
> SAakaTRotP> exit
>
> Did you run mysql at first time?
> The recomended way to change password and privileges is to use GRANT
> statement.
>
> SAakaTRotP> Script done on Thu Feb 14 20:35:56 2002

Further I try:

Script started on Fri Feb 15 08:48:41 2002
doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//var$ exitmysql -u root mysql

Didn't find any fields in table 'columns_priv'
Didn't find any fields in table 'db'
Didn't find any fields in table 'func'
Didn't find any fields in table 'host'
Didn't find any fields in table 'tables_priv'
Didn't find any fields in table 'user'
Your MySQL connection id is 18 to server version: 3.23.48-log

mysql> exit
Bye
doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//var$ quit
sh: quit: command not found
doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//var$ exit
exit

Script done on Fri Feb 15 08:48:49 2002
--
contact:
Dave Yadallee  NetKnow  The Internet Knowledge Company