List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 24 1999 5:34pm
Subject:Re: Managing Unix mySQL database from PC?
View as plain text
>I am building a web site using mySQL on a Sun UltraSparc server
>managed by a commercial hosting provider.  My question is:
>
>    What is the best strategy (or what are my options) for managing
>    this database from my (local) PC?
>
>I'm new to this, but I imagine my options might include:
>
>A)  Do everything on the server.  Build a secure management
>    interface to allow us to perform management operations
>    from a web browser.
>
>B)  Arrange to export/import tables, download/upload to/from PC,
>    manipulate data locally in, e.g., MicroSoft Access.
>
>C)  Arrange for flexible remote access to the database on the
>    server, e.g., by having MicroSoft Access talk to the remote
>    database via ODBC.  (I have no idea if this is possible.)

(C) is your best bet, but I'd advise against using Access - write code in
Visual Basic to manipulate the server.  Most database operations in MySQL
can be done by throwing SQL at the server.

Thread
Managing Unix mySQL database from PC?Robert Wentworth24 Mar
Re: Managing Unix mySQL database from PC?Ed Carp24 Mar
Re: Managing Unix mySQL database from PC?Calistra Research Labs25 Mar