List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:December 10 2002 9:43am
Subject:RE: MyODBC installation on Windows
View as plain text
> Being a Windows dev. guy I wonder why the Windows installation
> procedure for MyODBC 3.51 must
> install the ODBC driver in System32?
>
> In the makefile it copies it to SYSDIR (see below)
>    SYSDIR             = $(WINDIR)\system32
>
>    copy:
>      copy $(DRIVER_DLL) $(SYSDIR)\myodbc3.dll
>      copy $(DRIVER_LIB) $(SYSDIR)\myodbc3.lib
>

> Doing it a more "normal" ODBC way would be adding the Registry
> keys described below. If you add
> them you can use the Control Panel to add MySQL DataSources just
> like you add ODBC datasources for
> Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server. It also enables to install the driver
> where ever you want.
>
> Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something?

Probably because doing it the "normal" way isn't.  The "normal" way is to
add entries to odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini.  that's more platform independent.

Thread
MyODBC installation on WindowsChrister Ljung10 Dec
  • RE: MyODBC installation on WindowsEd Carp10 Dec
    • RE: MyODBC installation on WindowsChrister Ljung10 Dec