List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Harvey Date:March 5 2002 2:31am
Subject:Re: unixODBC, StarOffice 5.2, RedHat 6.1
View as plain text
You are on the right track.

First you install unixODBC then MyODBC then register the MyODBC driver
using the odbcinst command-line tool (since you are not using the GUI).

odbcinst -i -d -f myodbc.template

myodbc.template is a simple text file which can contain something like
the following...

[mysql]
Description     = MyODBC-2.50.39
Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libmyodbc.so
Setup           = /usr/local/lib/libodbcmyS.so
FileUsage       = 1
CPTimeout       =
CPReuse         =

Use your own file paths and leave Setup blank if you are not using the
GUI. The advantage of using odbcinst vs a text editor is that odbcinst
will ensure the correct file is updated.

Now you can do something similar for creating a DSN.

odbcinst -i -s -h -f dsn.template

dsn.template is a simple text file which can contain something like the
following...

[mysql]
Description     = mysql database
Driver          = mysql
Server          = 192.168.1.26
Port            =
Socket          =
Database        = mysql

In your case you probably want slightly different options. NOTE: The
Driver option can be set with a full path name to the library or the
user friendly name used when the driver was registered.

Next you want to test it. The best way to test things is to do the
following.

1. Use mysql command line tool to ensure that mysql client and server
are working properly.
2. Use isql command line tool (the one that comes with unixODBC) to
ensure that unixODBC and MyODBC are working properly. You may want to
turn verbose on when using isql for this purpose. If you have a problem
here then you may want to turn ODBC trace on.
3. Try your desired client software (i.e. StarOffice).

Peter