List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:M.-A. Lemburg Date:February 8 2002 3:43pm
Subject:Re: MyODBC 3.51 released
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:
> Hi!
> MyODBC 3.51 driver was released a few days ago.
> Version 3.51 of the MyODBC driver is now released by MySQL AB and
> available for download. An ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) driver
> enables client programs to access a database or data source. The new
> version 3.51 MySQL ODBC driver is a greatly enhanced successor version
> to the existing MyODBC 2.50, rewritten to follow the ODBC 3.5x
> specifications. It provides complete and up-to-date ODBC functionality
> when accessing any MySQL database.
> For more information about MyODBC, visit

On the web-page it says:
DISCLAIMER: MyODBC 3.51 binaries and sources are released under General Public
            License, not under LGPL.

Are you sure that you really want to ship MyODBC under the GPL
and not the LGPL ? ODBC drivers have to be linked against
something in order to work and the GPL infects all those
programs... some of which probably come with a non-GPL
compatible license.

MyODBC 2.5 came with a public domain license, which didn't
have these issues.

I would really recommend revisiting the decision to put libaries
under the GPL -- this restricts usability of those libraries

SAP, for example, ships the source code the SAP DB under GPL
and all client interfaces under LGPL which is the right way
to insure quality of the sources while achieving the best
compatibility to third party applications.

Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO Software GmbH
Company & Consulting:
Python Software: