List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 30 1999 7:08pm
Subject:Hostname on a Shared Server??
View as plain text
>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Sadler <simon@stripped>
> writes:

Simon> Hi everyone,
Simon> We have a some shared web space with Superb Internet (they're excellent
Simon> BTW). PHP and mySQL are working fine. I can also connect to mySQL through
Simon> Telnet.

Simon> We're having trouble accessing our mySQL tables via ODBC in Access (Win NT).
Simon> The problem is that I don't know what to use as a host name in the ODBC
Simon> settings. The mySQL host name I use to connect in PHP is "localhost" but,
Simon> obviously, I can't just use that. I've tried the domain of our server but
Simon> that didn't work either. I normally get an error saying that it can't find
Simon> mySQL at that hostname but, strangely, I just got this:

Simon> **
Simon> "Access denied for user: 'simon@stripped' (Using password:
Simon> YES)(#1045)"
Simon> **

Simon> Does that mean it found the server?

Yes.  Now you only have to get MySQL configured to give
user=simon,
host=usera801.uk.uudial.com

access rights.

Simon> I have no idea how that
Simon> "usera801.uk.uudial.com" got in there. It must be getting it from my dial-up
Simon> connection. I would expect that text to be the hostname I had entered.

No.  The hostname you entered is the host you try to access.  The
above host is your current machine (from which you try to access MySQL)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Hostname on a Shared Server??Simon Sadler30 Jun
  • Hostname on a Shared Server??Michael Widenius30 Jun
  • Re: Hostname on a Shared Server?? - SolvedSimon Sadler2 Jul