List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pat Sherrill Date:April 25 2001 11:40am
Subject:Re: Manager cursors, read-only data sets, and ODBCDirect
View as plain text
ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) is a standard method of database access,
originally specified by Microsoft.  It is based on the Call-Level Interface
(CLI) specifications from X/Open and ISO/IEC for database APIs and uses
Structured Query Language (SQL) as its database access language.

ODBCDirect is a Microsoft specific method within VB or VBS (any MS Office
product),  of making a direct ODBC call i.e. reaching beyond the recordset
paradigm.  It may be considered a somewhat lower level approach than ADO,
RDO or OLEdb.

Cursors are like bookmarks to keep track of what row you are on within a
given record set.  These are generally implemented at the server level and
are generally a function of the SQL server or RDBMS that you are using.
Manager Cursors are part of the ODBC Driver Manager or library.  Manager
Cursors wrap the resultset or recordset on the client side and simulate
Cursors to allow you flexible movement through a recordset. MySQL has not
yet implemented Cursors.

I hope I haven't muddied the water further...

Pat...