List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 3 1999 1:11pm
Subject:Re: Problem with sets column type
View as plain text

Federico> Monty wrote:
>> If you want to get the max length for a SET column, you should use
>> SQLColumns() function call or set the '"Don't optimize column width'
>> option in the MyODBC connect dialog.

Federico> I think the flag option in MyODBC driver should be used to optimize instead
Federico> of not optimize because the standard behaviour of SQLDescribeCol() is to
Federico> return the MAX size of the column. So it would be more..let's say, standard,
Federico> not to have the column optimization by default.
Federico> (according to Microsoft SDK guide that is based on the X/Open and SQL
Federico> SAG/CAE specifications [1992])

SQLDescribeCol() returns the MAX size of the column in the RESULT set.
I haven't find anything in the ODBC standard that disallows a SQL
server to create a temporary result set with more optimal types than
the original field type.

If you have some explicit information about this, please mail it to me!

Federico> Ciao,
Federico> Federico

Regards,
Monty

PS: I shall in the next MyODBC version change that the 'Don't optimize
    column width' option is ticked by default.
Thread
Problem with sets column typeBryan Mayland25 May
  • Problem with sets column typeMichael Widenius3 Jun
  • Re: Problem with sets column typeFederico Balbi3 Jun
    • Re: Problem with sets column typeMichael Widenius3 Jun