List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Phillip Grant Date:April 29 1999 4:52pm
Subject:RE: Can't edit fields in ODBC database
View as plain text
Hey Matt,

The reason I asked what front-end you are using is because it will need to
determine if the result set is read or read-write.  I'm no VB expert, but I
use Visual FoxPro which can create an updateable view of MySQL data through
MyODBC(as long as the tables aren't extremely large, then it bogs down, I
narrow it down with a WHERE clause).

I've also successfully used SQL-Passthrough, which may be a viable option
for you in VB.  Are you using ADO, DAO, RDO, JET (insert your preferred 3
letter acronym here)?  Some of these create read-only result sets.  Not sure
which does what...

Bottom Line: Check to see that what you are creating is an updateable
view/recordset.  If that doesn't pan out, try direct SQL/SQL passthrough.

Hope this helps,
Phillip