List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Carlson Date:March 12 1999 2:12am
Subject:RE: ODBC, mySQL and SSH
View as plain text
Thanks Jeff - this works perfectly.

The SSH client I tried has no documentation, so it took a bit of tinkering.
For those of you interested, I have expanded on Jeff's directions for this
particular product. I'll assume you already have SSH host on your mySQL
machine, and have the appropriate passwords to log in via SSH.

1) install SSH client on your windows machine - I used a free SSH client
from  http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ci2/ssh/
other useful links:
http://www.npaci.edu/Security/npaci_security_software.html
http://www.npaci.edu/Security/samples/ssh32_windows/index.html

2) Start SSH. Set Host Name = yourmysqlserver name or IP address. Set
userid=your userid to log in to your server
3) click on "local forwards". Set
local port: 3306
host: localhost
remote port: 3306
4) save everything otherwise you'll have to redo it the next time
5) log in to your server with SSH
6) start Access
7) create a new file and link to mySQL using the ODBC driver the same way
you normally do except for server, user "localhost".

That's it. It works very well with a direct internet connection. I'm having
problems with SSH conflicting with my Win95 network and Wingate - but
that'll be the topic of a posting on another software company's usegroup!

David