List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Svein Seldal Date:May 28 2013 12:17pm
Subject:Problems with ODBC
View as plain text

I'm having a strange problem.

You'll all have to excuse me, I have very little knowledge of ODBC, so I
might have got this all wrong.

We are using Altium Designer, a CAD program for electronics development.
In Altium we use a database link against our MySQL server holding the
company part database. Altium db link is ODBC based, so its setup with a
connection string.

We have strange problems using the MySQL ODBC which we don't understand.
After extensive testing we observe the following:

- We MUST use mysql-connector-odbc-5.2.4-win32.msi, even on 64-bit
Windows7, using the connection string "Driver=MySQL ODBC 5.2w Driver;"

- If the 32-bit 5.2.4 is installed, the driver is not listed in control
panel's odbc driver list, but works against Altium.

- If the 64-bit 5.2.4 driver is installed, it is listed in the odbc
driver list, but it does NOT work in Altium. Error: Microsoft OLE DB
Provider for ODBC Drivers: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source
name not found and no default driver specified

- If I install the current 5.2.5, it never only works with the 32-bit
driver using the connection string "Driver=MySQL ODBC 5.2 ANSI Driver;",
although EXTREMELY SLOW. Changing to unicode driver does not help.

- The 64-bit 5.2.5 driver is visible in odbc control panel, but it does
work against Altium.

Can someone please explain why it behaves this way?

Best regards,
Svein Seldal
Thread
Problems with ODBCSvein Seldal28 May