List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher G Hafer Date:April 24 2012 2:46pm
Subject:MySQL Connector for 64bit Windows is loading in wrong Windows
Registry Location.
View as plain text
I am installing on a new Hard Dive for a 64bit Windows 7 workstation.  When I add the x64
MySQL ODBC connector, it gets loaded into the registry for the 32bit ODBC not the 64bit
ODBC.  It should be loading into
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI" instead of "
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI"

I understand how 64bit windows systems use the 32bit ODBC as default but I am using the
"SysWOW64" folder and opening odbcad32.exe and the associated registry entries for 64bit
drivers vs. 32bit drivers.

This statement is not correct for Windows 7 64bit systems because this x64 MySQL connector
gets loaded in the 32bit ODBC registry location:
"...use the ODBC administration tool located at %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, this
will correctly locate the installed Connector/ODBC drivers and enable you to create a
Connector/ODBC DSN."

---------- System Information ---------------------
-Connector app Files:
mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.10-winx64.msi
mysql-connector-odbc-noinstall-5.1.10-winx64.zip

**Operating system and version**
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

**Connector/ODBC version**
mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.10-winx64.msi
mysql-connector-odbc-noinstall-5.1.10-winx64.zip

**ODBC Driver Manager type and version**
Windows 7 x64, version 6.1.7601.17514

**MySQL server version**
Non/Applicable

**ODBC trace from Driver Manager**
Non/Applicable

**Connector/ODBC log file from Connector/ODBC driver**
Non/Applicable

**Simple reproducible sample**
1) Install mysql-connector-odbc-5.1.10-winx64.msi to 64bit Windows 7 system.
2) Use -regedit- to view the registry entry for ODBC
3) The 64bit MySQL connector gets added to registry path
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI" (this is the 32bit ODBC registry entry)

***Entry should get added to registry path
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/ODBC/ODBCINST.INI (this is the 64bit ODBC
registry entry)***

----------- OLD Post about similar issue ----------------------
22.1.7.3.1: I have installed Connector/ODBC on Windows XP x64 Edition or Windows Server
2003 R2 x64. The installation completed successfully, but the Connector/ODBC driver does
not appear in ODBC Data Source Administrator.
This is not a bug, but is related to the way Windows x64 editions operate with the ODBC
driver. On Windows x64 editions, the Connector/ODBC driver is installed in the
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 folder. However, the default ODBC Data Source Administrator that is
available through the Administrative Tools or Control Panel in Windows x64 Editions is
located in the %SystemRoot%\system32 folder, and only searches this folder for ODBC
drivers.
On Windows x64 editions, use the ODBC administration tool located at
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, this will correctly locate the installed
Connector/ODBC drivers and enable you to create a Connector/ODBC DSN.
This issue was originally reported as Bug #20301.

Thank you,
Christopher G. Hafer, CPD, CDD
Senior Applications Analyst
hafer@stripped

Thread
MySQL Connector for 64bit Windows is loading in wrong WindowsRegistry Location. Christopher G Hafer24 Apr