List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Al McNicoll Date:June 29 2007 8:52am
Subject:RE: Trouble Installing MyODBC Connector
View as plain text
Dear Katherine,

Have you tried registering the driver from the command line? I can confirm
that I don't have any special directories created when I install 3.51.x -
I'm on Vista x64 now, so all the files get put in SysWow64 (32-bit
compatibility directory) but on XP they get put in system32. You should have
myodbc3i.exe and myodbc3m.exe among others.

Myodbc3i.exe can be used to register the driver, which might allow you to
pin down where the problem is more accurately.

The command to register the driver can be seen if you type

myodbc3i /?

from the command prompt within the system32 / syswow64 directory. The
example for "register a driver" that they give uses .so files (I think
that's Linux?) but use can use the windows equivalent - I can't remember if
they're the lib files or the dll files. So, something like:

myodbc3i -a -d -t"MySQL ODBC Driver
3.51;DRIVER=c:\windows\system32\myodbc3.dll;SETUP=c:\windows\system32\myodbc
3S.dll"

or

myodbc3i -a -d -t"MySQL ODBC Driver
3.51;DRIVER=c:\windows\system32\myodbc3.lib;SETUP=c:\windows\system32\myodbc
3S.lib"

That should give you a "driver count" - if it's greater than 1, then you
already had the driver registered. If it fails, post the message here and we
might be able to help out. If it succeeds, try using the example (again,
"myodbc3i /?") of creating a DSN from the command line and see what message
you get there:

myodbc3i -a -su -t"DSN=MyDSN;DRIVER=MySQL ODBC 3.51
Driver;SERVER=myServerHostname;UID=myUser"

or (for a system data source rather than a user data source)

myodbc3i -a -ss -t"DSN=MyDSN;DRIVER=MySQL ODBC 3.51
Driver;SERVER=myServerHostname;UID=myUser"

Again, if that gives error messages then maybe post them here..?

Hope that helps,

Al McNicoll
Integritec Limited