List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeff Oliver Date:March 11 1999 8:04pm
Subject:Re: ODBC, mySQL and SSH
View as plain text
David Carlson wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to get Access and ODBC to tunnel through to a
> Linux server via SSH? Do I need to make any changes to SSH server, or is it
> all set up on the WIN95 client side?

David,

If your ssh client supports port forwarding (most do), you should be able to
tunnel ODBC Traffic, though I'll admit that I haven't tried port forwarding ODBC
connections yet.   The basic idea is this:  in the ODBC configuration window for
your MySQL datasource, there are options to choose the server and port.  For
server, enter "localhost" and for port leave it at the default (3306).  This
tells ODBC that when an application requests info via the MySQL datasource you
have set up, connect to port 3306 on you local machine.

The next step is to set up your ssh client to listen on port 3306 of your local
machine and to forward that connection to the server you're connected to.  This
is a bit tricky, and varies depending on your ssh client, so I'm not going to be
much help here.  Please consult your ssh client's documentation on port
forwarding to learn how to do it right.  (I use SecureCRT for my ssh client.
It's a great product, but not free.  <http://www.vandyke.com/>).  Once port
forwarding is set up to listen on localhost:3306 and tunnel to
yourmysqlserver:3306, you're all set.

Note that to tunnel the traffic through ssh, you must have an ssh connection to
yourmysqlserver up and running before and throughout the course of your use of
ODBC.  Lose your ssh connection, and you'll lose your ODBC connection too. :)

> Once I am able to do this, is the entire session encrypted, or just the
> login sequence & password?

Once you have authenticated to your server via ssh, any traffic you port forward
is encrypted, including your ODBC login sequence...

Hope this helps, let me know if you have trouble.

Jeff

P.S.  I took a few minutes to test this on my NT machine (connecting to a mysql
server on a Solaris box) and it does indeed work for me.  That's promising.

--
Jeff Oliver
Health Systems Analyst/Programmer

Thread
ODBC, mySQL and SSHDavid Carlson11 Mar
  • Re: ODBC, mySQL and SSHJeff Oliver11 Mar
    • RE: ODBC, mySQL and SSHDavid Carlson12 Mar
    • Re: mysql & visual Java++ proHans Wolters31 Mar
  • Re: mysql & visual Java++ proADIB MOTIWALA31 Mar
Re: mysql & visual Java++ proRoger Cooper31 Mar
RE: mysql & visual Java++ proBrian Huddleston1 Apr