List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Al McNicoll Date:July 20 2006 12:42pm
Subject:myODBC issue - changed table name
View as plain text
Dear all,

Any clarity on this problem would be appreciated.

The setup:
----------
I've got a client program running MS Access 2003 (on Win XP), connecting to
a linux server (running Fedora 5) running MySQL 5.0 Community Edition. At
the moment, there's only the one client connecting - later there will be
many more. Connection is made using myODBC 3.51.12

The problem:
------------
Halfway through a data-entry process the other day, Access threw up an ODBC
error. After much debugging, it turns out it couldn't find a certain table,
called textbank_account_name00000152. I know that this table had existed in
the past, so I deleted the link from Access's database window, then tried to
relink the table. The table bank_account_name00000152 appeared when I
selected my DSN from the list, but when I then tried to link it, it said
that the Jet Database engine couldn't find table bank_account_name00000152.
Further investigation in MySQL administrator revealed that the table
bank_account_name00000152 was not present in the database, but one called
bank_account_name00000144 *was* present. Slightly confused, I then tried to
rename this table to bank_acount_name00000152 using the built-in MySQL Table
Editor. Error: "table bank_account_name00000152 already exists"
To further these problems, I'm currently doing all this querying "blind"
over the phone to a fairly non-technical user, while I wait for a VPN to be
set up. So for the moment, I don't have printouts of the information_schema,
etc.

The questions:
--------------
1. Has anyone else had this issue using myODBC?
2. Is there any way that I can change the table name without issuing a ALTER
TABLE statement (I can't see one in my code)?
3. Although this may be an issue for a separate list, does anyone have any
experience of this internal inconsistency within MySQL server - ie a table
which appears to have one name but "actually" has another?
4. The user I speak to over the phone has limited abilities and limited
patience. Can you suggest any information that would be really useful to
get? I think an information_schema readout is probably going to be pretty
high on that list, but are there any other things I haven't thought of?

Any help you can offer would be gratefully appreciated, and might save me
from further hair loss...

Thanks!

Al McNicoll
Integritec Ltd

Thread
MyOdbc and MySQL questionMike Crocker10 Jul
RE: MyOdbc and MySQL questionjbonnett13 Jul
  • myODBC issue - changed table nameAl McNicoll20 Jul