List:MySQL ODBC« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Lommatsch Date:April 21 2006 10:13pm
Subject:Access Error when linking/exporting Data through MySQL ODBC connection
View as plain text
Hello,

I have been fighting this issue for the better part of a day. If someone can
suggest a way to figure this out I would appreciate the help.

At a client site they have begun the process migrating to a new Domain
server. At this site Microsoft access is used as a front end to MySQL. Today
I was trying to make sure that the linked tables in the access Database are
properly connected to the correct MySQL server, which is installed on the new
domain server.

I have updated the ODBC connection that I am using to link to this database
so that it points the the new server and all of my other applications that
use the ODBC connection appear to work correctly. But, when I open up the
access database it is still linked to the database on the old server. My
first thought was to simply delete the links to the Old server and replace
them with links to the new server. When I do this Access comes up with an
error message saying that an error has occurred and asking me if I want to
restart Access.

This appears to be happening on any computer that is located in this office.
I tried creating a new Access Database and same error is still occurring.

I have tried creating a brand new MySQL Database with only one dummy table in
it and connecting to it from access and the results are no different.

I exported Data from the MySQL database and transferred it to our office and
in our office I am having no problem in linking to MySQL from Access.

I have even been able to write a small Access VBA Module that tested
connecting to the MySQL Database  through the DSN and this worked.

Is this a case where because the Migration has not yet been completed Access
is confused on how to link to the ODBC DSN? Or is there something else that I
have not yet thought of that I need to do to get this to work?

The client site has version 4.0.13 of MySQL Installed with MySQL ODBC
connector version 3.51.06 and Access 2002. Up until the migration process was
started this seemed to work.

Thank you

Eric H. Lommatsch
Programmer
MICRONix, Inc.
2087 South Grant Street
Denver, CO 80210
Tel 303-777-8939
Fax 303-778-0378

ericl@stripped

Thread
Access Error when linking/exporting Data through MySQL ODBC connectionEric Lommatsch22 Apr
  • RE: Access Error when linking/exporting Data through MySQL ODBC connectionAl McNicoll24 Apr
RE: Access Error when linking/exporting Data through MySQL ODBC connectionEric Lommatsch24 Apr