List:Maria Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Guilhem Bichot Date:April 25 2008 7:40pm
Subject:Re: merge of Maria into 6.0
View as plain text
Hello,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:23:29PM +0300, Michael Widenius wrote:

> Guilhem> Hello,
> Guilhem> Jani was saying today that of all these merges of 5.1-main into
> Guilhem> 5.1-maria, that we have done over the last two years, some may have
> Guilhem> introduced problems (wrong merges). I agree with him. I think that we
> Guilhem> should not port these problems into 6.0-main when we, in a few weeks
> Guilhem> hopefully, merge 5.1-maria into 6.0-main.
>
> Guilhem> So I suggest that once we are code-complete for Maria version 1.5 (all
> Guilhem> tasks pushed), we, instead of pushing immediately into 6.0-main (or
> Guilhem> 6.0-maria to be created), take the time to do this:
> Guilhem> 1) merge the latest 5.1-main into 5.1-maria
> Guilhem> 2) do a full diff between the resulting 5.1-maria and 5.1-main, and a
> Guilhem> full review of this diff (with certain pieces reviewed by the most
> Guilhem> competent person, for example, dbug/ diff would be reviewed by Serg).
>
> Just a note:
>
> The above was already done in December by me.  Most of the important
> changes is in the mysql-5.1-marvel tree which should soon be part of 5.1
>
> In other words, I don't think there are any bad merges to take care of.
> We can of course do this anyway, but I don't expect to find anything
> noteworthy.

Maybe you could discuss this with Jani, who think he is finding fishy
things during this current in-progress merge.
And, you did a check in December, but it's been 4 months since
then. We can have introduced problems since then.

> Guilhem> 3) do a diff between 5.1-maria/storage/myisam and
> Guilhem> 5.1-maria/storage/maria and a review of it (as we have seen in the
> Guilhem> past that we sometimes forgot to merge MyISAM into Maria); this will
> Guilhem> be difficult because some reworking was done into Maria, but I believe
> Guilhem> we still have to do it.
>
> I don't think this part is possible anymore.  Too much changes to do
> any decent comparison in a reasonable time.
>
> Assuming that most major bug fixes in MyISAM have test cases, we
> already have a good verification that Maria parts are ok by running
> all tests with the Maria engine.

Yes, except if those tests have a ENGINE=MYISAM clause.
Thread
merge of Maria into 6.0Guilhem Bichot25 Apr
  • re: merge of Maria into 6.0Michael Widenius25 Apr
    • Re: merge of Maria into 6.0Guilhem Bichot25 Apr
    • Re: merge of Maria into 6.0Guilhem Bichot26 Apr
      • Re: merge of Maria into 6.0Michael Widenius28 Apr