List:MySQL and Java« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Pellegrini Date:May 4 1999 11:04pm
Subject:Re: SQLException Error codes
View as plain text
Hans Wolters wrote:

> > While the SQLState carries "industry-standard" values, the errorCode is "...
> > specific to each vendor.
>
> Do you mean the db vendor or the jdbc vendor?

I interpret this to mean the db vendor.

> Anyway, we could all solve this
> by making a faq with all the error's we retrieve. I'm sure it will be filled in
> a few weeks.

Mark Matthews says they are listed in the MySQL .h files. Someone in the know could easily
take that as a starting point. I don't have my hands on them, and wouldn't know where to
look.

> I'm sure that all the developers have been debugging when making an
> application (I do). I always print my errors to the console. When it is
> compiled I run it from within a xterm to see what error's are produced.

I'm developing user applications, and I direct errors to a log file rather than the
console. It's not so much an issue of being able to observe the error as it is to recover
from it gracefully. For
example, when users register with a login name and password, I need to be able to handle
the situation where a user enters a login name that is already taken. The registration
application should
detect the duplicate and notify the user that the login name is taken and to try another
login name.

-davidp

--

DataWeb Systems, Inc.

Thread
SQLException Error codesDavid Pellegrini4 May
  • RE: SQLException Error codesHans Wolters4 May
  • Re: SQLException Error codesmmatthew4 May
    • Re: SQLException Error codesDavid Pellegrini5 May
      • Re: SQLException Error codesHans Wolters5 May
        • Re: SQLException Error codesDavid Pellegrini5 May