List:MySQL and Java« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:July 28 1999 6:33pm
Subject:Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIs
View as plain text
Martin Edelius wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've been meaning to start with Java but I need to get some info on
> what's what as far as Java goes. I've been programming (Borland)
> Windows32 C++ for several years so I have a good grasp of programming
> and programming techniques.
>
> What I'm looking for is a book that teaches me the most simple basics of
> Java (the history of Java for instance) as well as the most advanced
> stuff (how it handles OOP, memory allocation, and so on). If it contains
> a good reference section it's a big plus.
>
> I'm also mening to implement MySQL functionality but haven't found any
> information on drivers, etc. Are there any APIs or such that I can
> download?
>
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Martin Edelius

Hi Martin

To get used to Java I would suggest to read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java".
You can buy the book, or get an electronic copy under
<http://www.Bruceeckel.com/javabook.html>

What you need to use the JDBC drivers is the jav.sql.* package.
It is part of the standard Java since JDK 1.1.x (read: you can get infos from
http://java.sun.com webpages).

Hope this helps
Christian

Thread
Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsMartin Edelius28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsDavid Viner28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsChristian Mack28 Jul
Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIschris rennert28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsADIB MOTIWALA29 Jul
    • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsJohn Plate29 Jul