List:MySQL and Java« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:July 28 1999 6:33pm
Subject:Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIs
View as plain text
Martin Edelius wrote:
> Hi all.
> I've been meaning to start with Java but I need to get some info on
> what's what as far as Java goes. I've been programming (Borland)
> Windows32 C++ for several years so I have a good grasp of programming
> and programming techniques.
> What I'm looking for is a book that teaches me the most simple basics of
> Java (the history of Java for instance) as well as the most advanced
> stuff (how it handles OOP, memory allocation, and so on). If it contains
> a good reference section it's a big plus.
> I'm also mening to implement MySQL functionality but haven't found any
> information on drivers, etc. Are there any APIs or such that I can
> download?
> Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> Best regards,
> Martin Edelius

Hi Martin

To get used to Java I would suggest to read Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Java".
You can buy the book, or get an electronic copy under

What you need to use the JDBC drivers is the jav.sql.* package.
It is part of the standard Java since JDK 1.1.x (read: you can get infos from webpages).

Hope this helps

Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsMartin Edelius28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsDavid Viner28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsChristian Mack28 Jul
Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIschris rennert28 Jul
  • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsADIB MOTIWALA29 Jul
    • Re: Book for JAVA beginners (sorta)/MySQL APIsJohn Plate29 Jul