List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 18 2001 12:34am
Subject:Re: Embedded server in 4.0
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "John" == John Birrell <jb@stripped> writes:

John> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 01:08:06AM +0300, Michael Widenius wrote:
>> When you have an embedded server, why would you really care where the
>> data is?
>> What is the reason in using different parent directories ?

John> I was planning on having a 'simple' (IMHO) Apache configuration
John> that pointed the web server's message board module to a single
John> directory. Below that, one directory is created for each message
John> board. The board-specific directory would contain everything
John> about that message board. To remove the message board, you just
John> delete that directory. One of the things belongs in that
John> directory is the database that stores the messages. Each of the
John> databases was going to have the same name.

>> Do you need this on windows or Unix?

John> Both, eventually. I'm only working on Unix at the moment. Only if
John> the project is feasible will I do a Windows version.

>> At least on Unix I think it would be better to have a base-parent
>> directory and from this use symbolic links to the different database
>> directories.  The benefit of this is that it would be much easier to
>> use standard scripts (like a backup script) to access the different
>> files than if they are spread without control all over the place.

John> I'd like to see the 'host' name in the call to mysql_real_connect()
John> refer to a virtual server in the embedded case. By default, a NULL
John> host would use the 'localhost' configured database directory like
John> you have at the moment. If the server init function is
John> mysql_server_init(host,argc,argv), then the client will have no
John> difficulty setting up a private embedded server.

We are actually planing to implement something like:

mysql_server_init(const char **argv, const char **groups)

where groups could be:

const char *load_default_groups[]= { "mysqld","server","database1" };

John> I'm not sure what this does to the embedded server internals.
John> I guess it's the server code issue that's the problem here.

In any case, this shouldn't be hard to fix...

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Embedded server in 4.0John Birrell14 Jun
  • Re: Embedded server in 4.0Sasha Pachev14 Jun
    • Re: Embedded server in 4.0John Birrell14 Jun
  • Embedded server in 4.0Michael Widenius14 Jun
Re: Embedded server in 4.0Michael Widenius17 Jun
  • Re: Embedded server in 4.0John Birrell17 Jun
    • Re: Embedded server in 4.0Michael Widenius18 Jun