List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 28 2000 9:44am
Subject:porting to Darwin/Mac OS X
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Meyer <cmeyer@stripped> writes:

Chris> Hi,
Chris> I've been working on porting mysql to Darwin (and equivalently Mac OS
Chris> X Public Beta). Currently I have everything building and running with
Chris> some caveats.

Chris> The main difference for building under Mac OS X compared to Mac OS X
Chris> Server is that the OS is now 'darwin' instead of 'rhapsody' AND Mac
Chris> OS X seems to have a Posix compliant pthreads implementation.

Wht is the difference between the thread implementation in rhapsody
and darwin;  As you know, MySQL compiles and works on rhapsodi.

Chris> But... Darwin/OSX is still missing pthread_kill. How does the BSD
Chris> build handle the lack of pthread_kill? Is there anyone with specific
Chris> knowledge on this who can help me finish the port? (my port of mysql
Chris> is actually running, it just won't shutdown properly AND my thread
Chris> patches are dubious).

If you don't have pthread_kill(), MySQL will use the following code in
sql/mysqld.cc:kill_mysql() to send the signal:

 kill(current_pid,SIGTERM);

This should force the MySQL server till shutdown nicely as long as you
don't have any connected clients!

Doesn't mysqladmin shutdown work if you don't have any connected
clients?  I am quite sure this works on rhapsodi.

Chris> Also, I would like to get the 'darwin' support added to the more
Chris> mundance files like config.guess and configure.in. Is this the right
Chris> place to post patches and questions about my changes?

Yes;  These should be posted to internals@stripped!

Chris> Thanks,
Chris> Chris

Chris> P.S. I cross posted to 'internals' and 'developer', not being sure
Chris> which one to use.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
porting to Darwin/Mac OS XChris Meyer1 Oct
  • porting to Darwin/Mac OS XMichael Widenius1 Oct
    • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XChris Meyer2 Oct
      • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XMichael Widenius3 Oct
        • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XChris Meyer9 Oct
          • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS Xsinisa9 Oct
          • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XMichael Widenius11 Oct
            • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XNick Kledzik19 Oct
  • Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS Xsasha11 Oct
Re: porting to Darwin/Mac OS XThimble Smith1 Oct