List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:June 11 2001 4:12pm
Subject:Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancement
View as plain text
Hi!

Charlie> Michael Widenius wrote:

>> Hi!

> writes:

Antony> Allows grammar such as

Antony> SELECT tote_seq_no INTO @seq
Antony> FROM toteq WHERE tote_no=@tote AND zone=@zone AND status="O"
Antony> ORDER BY tote_seq_no
Antony> LIMIT 1;

>> Thanks for the patch, but I wouldn't like to accept this in this form.
>>
>> The right way to do this would be to do:
>>
>> SET @SEQ= SELECT tote_seq_no INTO @seq FROM toteq WHERE tote_no=@tote AND
> zone=@zone AND status="O" ORDER BY tote_seq_no LIMIT 1;
>>
>> This is more natural, especially in 4.1 when we have sub selects.
>>
>> Do you want to change this or should I do it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Monty

Charlie> The reason for the grammar as I wrote it is for grammar compatibility
Charlie> with IBM DB2 7.1

Charlie> Except that DB2 uses ':' as the character to identify variables instead
Charlie> of '@' but I can accept that difference ;)

Charlie> For the things that I am doing, I would like to have same and/or similar
Charlie> grammar between DB2 and MySQL.

Charlie> (It means that I may not be using DB2 to it's full abilities, but that
Charlie> doesn't concern me too much right now)

Charlie> ANTONY T CURTIS

It's ok, if we provide both versions :)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
query engine and parserManish Chakrabarti6 Jun
  • query engine and parserMichael Widenius7 Jun
  • Re: query engine and parserSasha Pachev7 Jun
  • SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
    • SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius10 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis8 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementPaul Cadach11 Jun
    • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius11 Jun
  • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementCharlie Root11 Jun
    • Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius11 Jun
      • MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementRussell E Glaue11 Jun
        • Re: MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementAntony T Curtis12 Jun
        • MySQL Model: Re: SELECT ... INTO grammar enhancementMichael Widenius12 Jun