List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 28 2003 11:40pm
Subject:Re: 4.1 protocol description
View as plain text
Hi!

>> Has any thought been given to bulk operations? It's the next logical
>> step for increased performance after placeholders - and relatively
>> straightforward to do. The performance gains can be far more dramatic
>> than with just placeholders because you're eliminating many network
>> round-trips.

<cut>
>> @multitable @columnfractions .30 .70
>> @item Size              @tab Comment
>> +  @item 2                 @tab iterations. Number of times to execute the
> statement and
>> +                          corresponding number of repetitions of parameter data
> in package.

<cut>

venu> This looks like a perfect idea for bulks; and even we can make a bit in
venu> [types_supplied] byte itself to represent the bulk_operation is more
venu> than one or not; so that we can avoid extra 2/4 bytes to represent the
venu> bulk count for normal single execution. As the [types_supplied] can be
venu> represented in a one bit(currently we are using a byte for this); so
venu> this can take another bit; and still we have 6 more free bits here :)

venu> Lets wait for Monty approval for this.

Yes, we can have a bit in the types_supplied to tell if the next 2
bytes is a count of parameters.

We should do this in 5.0;  Venu, can you please make a worklog entry
for this.

Regards,
Monty

--