List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 19 2003 10:26am
Subject:libmysql compatibility
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Georg" == Georg Richter <georg@stripped> writes:

Georg> Hello,
Georg> I want to replace php's bundled libmysql 3.23 with libmysql 4.1 in PHP5. This
Georg> will only work, if libmysql 4.1 is BC to older versions, cause we have to
Georg> support versions > 3.22. Cause lot of things changed in libmysql 4.1 I'm not

Georg> sure if this will work...

The MySQL C client code in 4.1 is 100 % backward compatible back to
3.22.  (We have always put a lot of effort into making things backward
compatbile).

There should be no problem in switching PHP to use the 4.1 library by default.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to give an error to the
user if they try to issue an multi line statement or prepared
statements against a 4.0 server.

This can easily be verified by checking if

mysql->server_capabilites & CLIENT_PROTOCOL_41

is true after you have connected.  If not, then the above commands
will not work.  (The server should give an error message if multi line
statements or prepared statements is used).

Regards,
Monty

--
MySQL 2003 Users Conference -> http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2003/