List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 23 2001 9:34pm
Subject:Re: PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?
View as plain text
Hi!

Jon> Ok, new suggestion/inquiry here. I'm using the SQL_BUFFER_RESULT keyword, so I'm
> expecting a temp table to be used. But I'm also using the SQL_SMALL_RESULT keyword, so why
> doesn't it create the temp table in memory? Apparently, SQL_SMALL_RESULT has no effect
> when I use SQL_BUFFER_RESULT. Could that be changed?

Actually, SQL_BUFFER_RESULT should first create a in-memory temp-table
and only when this gets larger than 'tmp_table_size' it will change to
use disk based ones.

Jon> (I'm deducing from your patch that "Copying to tmp table" means a temp table on
> disk :))

No, this isn't the case.  The intention of my not tested patch was to
change the message 'Copying to tmp table' after we have changed a in
memory temp table to a disk based one.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
tmp table on disk or in memory?Jon Valvatne23 Apr
  • PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?Michael Widenius23 Apr
  • Re: PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?Jon Valvatne23 Apr
  • Re: PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?Jon Valvatne23 Apr
    • Re: PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?Michael Widenius23 Apr
      • Re: PATCH: tmp table on disk or in memory?Jon Valvatne24 Apr