List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 31 2001 8:05pm
Subject:Perl + Mysql
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Dana" == Dana Prescott Kennedy Powers
> <dana@stripped> writes:

Dana> Ive been working for a while on embedding perl in the mysql
Dana> server, and Im wondering how interested anyone is in formalizing
Dana> the code and potentially merging it with the main codebase. Ive
Dana> added a --with-perl extention to configure which creates a
Dana> unique perl interpreter space for each connection. I added a
Dana> function which will eval a perl expression using extra arguments
Dana> as stack values ( ie. select perl('reverse($_[0]);',
Dana> table1.column1); ). I have convinced myself that creating a perl
Dana> extention ( similar to mod_perl's relationship to mysql ) is
Dana> possible - Ive done it ;) - and can be done in a clean and
Dana> stable way.

Dana> More dramatic things which I havent implemented: Extention to
Dana> CREATE FUNCTION which will load perl scripts instead of dynamic
Dana> libraries.  Extention to CREATE FUNCTION which allows inline
Dana> function definition and storage.  Mysql Connection API module
Dana> which would allow perl to create new connections and issue
Dana> queries with them ( ? ) A more extensible embedded interpreter
Dana> api ( perhaps for python or javascript etc ).

Dana> I was a very active participant on the mysql mailing lists about
Dana> a year ago, and I recall someone sending a lone message about
Dana> wanting to try something like this - it actually prompted me to
Dana> try it. Anyway, im not sure if this has been done or discussed,
Dana> but let me know what you guys think.  As usual the benefit of
Dana> perl is not necessarily speed of code, but speed of coding.

Of course we would be intersting in this!

If you could upload this to ftp://support.mysql.com/pub/mysql/Incoming
we could take a look at this and maybe put this in 4.0

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Perl + MysqlDana Prescott Kennedy Powers30 Mar
  • Re: Perl + Mysqlbarries30 Mar
    • Re: Perl + Mysqlbarries30 Mar
  • Perl + MysqlMichael Widenius31 Mar
  • Re: Perl + MysqlDana Prescott Kennedy Powers2 Apr
    • Re: Perl + MysqlMichael Widenius2 Apr
  • Re: Perl + MysqlRussell E Glaue9 Apr
    • Re: Perl + MysqlDana Prescott Kennedy Powers10 Apr
      • Re: Perl + MysqlCristian Giussani10 Apr
      • Re: Perl + MysqlRussell E Glaue10 Apr
        • Re: Perl + MysqlDana Prescott Kennedy Powers10 Apr
  • Re: Perl + MysqlRussell E Glaue20 Jun
    • Re: Perl + MysqlDana Powers21 Jun
      • Re: Perl + Mysqlbarries22 Jun
        • Re: Perl + MysqlRussell E Glaue22 Jun
          • Re: Perl + Mysqlbarries22 Jun
            • Re: Perl + MysqlSasha Pachev23 Jun
              • MySQL SNMPRussell E Glaue23 Jun
                • Re: MySQL SNMPSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Perl + MysqlDana Powers27 Aug
    • Re: Perl + MysqlSinisa Milivojevic22 Jun