List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Antony T Curtis Date:February 21 2001 12:59pm
Subject:Optimisation suggestion...
View as plain text
Here's an idea for a (perhaps quite complex) optimisation which could be
very desirable...

In the case where there is a SELECT on a table where no index is
directly applicable, if there is a compound index where the second part
(or third, etc) of the index is used in the WHERE clause, it should be
possible to still use that index by being able to skip rows rather than
doing a brute-force search through all the records.

Any hints where I should look to see if such an optimisation could be
implemented?

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670
> Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
> "I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."
> 		-- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Thread
character set conf fileChi-Wai Lau21 Feb
  • character set conf fileMichael Widenius21 Feb
  • Optimisation suggestion...Antony T Curtis21 Feb
    • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Thimble Smith21 Feb
  • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Antony T Curtis21 Feb
    • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Michael Widenius5 Mar
  • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Antony T Curtis5 Mar
    • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Michael Widenius5 Mar
  • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Antony T Curtis6 Mar
RE: Optimisation suggestion...Enrique Villar6 Mar
  • Re: Optimisation suggestion...Antony T Curtis6 Mar