List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:October 18 2002 5:39pm
Subject:Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)
View as plain text
At 21:29 +0400 10/18/02, Peter Zaitsev wrote:
>On Friday 18 October 2002 20:20, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>  I've been puzzling over this patch, which implements a form of the
>>  CONVERT() function.  I can see that this can be useful for specifying
>>  the destination character set as a string expression rather than as
>>  an unquoted character set name.  But I'm wondering why the second argument
>>  is necessary at all.  Strings have a charset already, why do you have
>>  to specify what it is?
>>

>You do not have charset for some of the  constant strings.

Give me an example of a string that doesn't have a charset.
The only example I can think of would be a binary string.
Are there others?

>Imagine the application which would  Recieve emails, convert them from
>specified encoding to unicode and store in the database.
>
>The other thing is I belive it could be made optional :)
>
>--
>     __  ___     ___ ____  __
>    /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Peter Zaitsev <peter@stripped>
>   / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer
>  /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   Moscow, Russia
>         <___/   www.mysql.com   M: +7 095 725 4955

Thread
bk commit into 4.1 treebar29 Mar
  • Re: bk commit into 4.1 treePaul DuBois29 Mar
  • Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Paul DuBois18 Oct
    • Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Peter Zaitsev18 Oct
      • Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Paul DuBois18 Oct
  • Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Shurik) Barkov20 Oct
    • Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Michael Widenius20 Oct
Re: Question about CONVERT(str,charset_to,charset_from)Paul DuBois18 Oct