List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:April 24 2013 2:37pm
Subject:Re: adding an index of my own type/code
View as plain text
Hi, AugustQ!

On Apr 24, AugustQ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> and thanks for your hints.
>
> Here is what I did: I created a tiny storage engine which inherits its
> functionality from MyIsam. I can load this code and so I created a table
> with this type of storage engine.
>
> Next I wanted to see what my storage engine can do if I add an index to
> this table.
>
> If I create an index without specifying an index-type everything works.
> In the ::create(()-function I see the columns that describe the index.
>
> When I create an index using an index-engine-type by giving the keyword
> engine or type or using in the CREATE-stmt, it works when I use one of
> the keywords given in the description like BTREE or HASH. But when I
> create an index using my own keyword then I got immediately the syntax
> error.
>
> In my example I used the word AQTREE for the description of the
> index-engine. I wanted to see at the storage-engine-level, what
> information was given to my code but this storage engine (my code) was
> never called.
>
> What I expected: MySQL offers the choice of adding another storage
> engine without modifying the source code of MySQL itself. So I assumed
> that this would include the creating and handling of an index.
>
> Is this possible?

No, it is not possible. Index types are hard-coded in the parser and
only BTREE, RTEEE, and HASH are allowed.

Regards,
Sergei
Thread
adding an index of my own type/codeAugustQ23 Apr
  • Re: adding an index of my own type/codeStewart Smith23 Apr
    • Re: adding an index of my own type/codeAugustQ24 Apr
      • Re: adding an index of my own type/codeThomas Jones-Low24 Apr
      • Re: adding an index of my own type/codeSergei Golubchik24 Apr
        • Re: adding an index of my own type/codeAugustQ24 Apr