List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:February 25 2013 10:26am
Subject:Re: [Maria-developers] Fwd: some question on bundled libedit in mysql
View as plain text
Hi, xiaobing!

On Feb 25, xiaobing jiang wrote:

> and why mysql5.6 remove the bundled readline? I think readline is used
> more than libedit.
> and when using system readline, why perfer libedit to readline ? look
> at cmake/readline.cmake. FIND_SYSTEM_LIBEDIT(edit) ->
> FIND_SYSTEM_LIBEDIT(readline)

For legal reasons.

readline is GPL. libedit is BSD. MySQL can be built as non-GPL binary,
so it cannot be linked with GPL library in these builds.
Apparently, MySQL developers didn't want to maintain different linking
preferences for GPL and non-GPL builds.

In MariaDB we prefer to link with readline. We never link with bundled
libedit at all. Either with system readline, if it's usable, or with
system libedit, or with bundled readline.

Regards,
Sergei

Thread
Fwd: some question on bundled libedit in mysqlxiaobing jiang25 Feb
  • Re: [Maria-developers] Fwd: some question on bundled libedit in mysqlSergei Golubchik25 Feb
  • Re: Fwd: some question on bundled libedit in mysqlSveta Smirnova25 Feb
Re: [Maria-developers] Fwd: some question on bundled libedit in mysqlSergei Golubchik25 Feb