List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zardosht Kasheff Date:January 28 2013 1:34am
Subject:what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?
View as plain text
Hello all,

What do people think are the pros and cons of the following idea?

Instead of having the binary log be stored as a log file, a table with
a transactional engine (like InnoDB) is used. I have NOT done any
investigation into whether this is possible, but I'm wondering what
people abstractly think of this idea.

Here are some pros:
 - As I understand it, for two phase commit, storage engines are
currently expected to fsync once after a transaction is prepared and
once after a transaction is committed. If the binary log is an InnoDB
table, then two-phase commit is unnecessary and the number of fsyncs
on the system is cut in half.
 - With crash safe slaves on MySQL 5.6, one theoretically does not
need to enable fsyncs on transaction commit on slaves. If some data
gets lost after a crash, then the data may be replayed from the
master. However, to get GTIDs working, one must enable the binary log
on slaves, which requires two-phase commit, which require fsyncs. By
having the binary log be an InnoDB table, then two-phase commit is not
needed and fsyncs may be turned off on slaves.

Here are some cons:
 - I imagine writing to an InnoDB table is slower than writing to a log.

My major motivation is to find a way to have users not be forced to
fsync on every transaction commit on slaves. With crash safety of
slaves in 5.6, this seems possible as long as two-phase commit is not
needed. However, with GTIDs requiring binary logging to be enabled,
users are now forced to fsync.

Thanks
-Zardosht
Thread
what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Zardosht Kasheff28 Jan
  • Re: what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Kristian Nielsen28 Jan
    • Re: what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Zardosht Kasheff28 Jan
      • Re: what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Kristian Nielsen28 Jan
        • Re: what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Zardosht Kasheff28 Jan
    • Re: [Maria-developers] what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Stewart Smith29 Jan
      • Re: [Maria-developers] what pros/cons of storing binary log in anInnoDB table?Vadim Tkachenko29 Jan
        • Re: [Maria-developers] what pros/cons of storing binary log in anInnoDB table?Zardosht Kasheff30 Jan
          • Re: [Maria-developers] what pros/cons of storing binary log in an InnoDB table?Kristian Nielsen30 Jan