List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shaukat Mahmood Ahmad Date:December 21 2012 4:03pm
Subject:Re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embeding
View as plain text
Dear Monty,

Thanks a lot for detailed and very helpful reply.

Regards,
Shaukat Mahmood Ahmadf

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Michael Widenius <monty@stripped> wrote:

> Hi!

> Shaukat> Hello Everyone,
> Shaukat> Can anyone explain teh liceing terms for following items,
>
>>> MySQL Plugins (Plugable Storage Eegines, Security Plugin, Audit  Plugins ,
> etc)
> Shaukat>    - Can I disctribute / sell my custom storage engines / other
> Shaukat> plugins as commerical product?
>
> You can always sell them if they are open source.
>
> However if you want to sell them as closed source, then the following
> should hold:
>
> a) They don't include any GPL code (It's ok to use GPL header files as
>    these don't generate code)
> b) Except for the interface code, the plugin or storage engine can be
>    used standalone or with any other application.
>
> a) is required
> b) Would be preferable to be 100 % legally safe. However you may be
>    safe even it it only works with MySQL; It depends on the
>    circumstances.
>
>>> Embeded MySQL Server
> Shaukat>    - Will I need to open source my application with embeded MySQL
> server?
>
> Yes, except in the case where you link it in dynamicly and your
> application would still work even if you didn't link it in.
>
>>> Forked MySQL Server
> Shaukat>   - What are licening terms for custom / extended / revised MySQL
> Shaukat> Server solutions like the one provided by Percona, Drizzle and
> Shaukat> MariaDB? Can I maintain both open and commerical versions of branded
> Shaukat> MySQL Server solution?
>
> If your application uses the LGPL libraries that we made from MariaDB,
> then your application doesn't have to be open sourced.
>
> See:
> https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-client-library-for-c/
> https://kb.askmonty.org/en/licensing-faq/
>
> Regards,
> Monty
> Creator of MySQL and MariaDB
Thread
What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingShaukat Mahmood Ahmad18 Dec
  • Re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingStewart Smith19 Dec
  • re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingMichael Widenius19 Dec
    • Re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingShaukat Mahmood Ahmad21 Dec