List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:December 18 2012 6:43pm
Subject:re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embeding
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Shaukat" == Shaukat Mahmood Ahmad <write@stripped> writes:

Shaukat> Hello Everyone,
Shaukat> Can anyone explain teh liceing terms for following items,

>> MySQL Plugins (Plugable Storage Eegines, Security Plugin, Audit  Plugins , etc)
Shaukat>    - Can I disctribute / sell my custom storage engines / other
Shaukat> plugins as commerical product?

You can always sell them if they are open source.

However if you want to sell them as closed source, then the following
should hold:

a) They don't include any GPL code (It's ok to use GPL header files as
   these don't generate code)
b) Except for the interface code, the plugin or storage engine can be
   used standalone or with any other application.

a) is required
b) Would be preferable to be 100 % legally safe. However you may be
   safe even it it only works with MySQL; It depends on the
   circumstances.

>> Embeded MySQL Server
Shaukat>    - Will I need to open source my application with embeded MySQL server?

Yes, except in the case where you link it in dynamicly and your
application would still work even if you didn't link it in.

>> Forked MySQL Server
Shaukat>   - What are licening terms for custom / extended / revised MySQL
Shaukat> Server solutions like the one provided by Percona, Drizzle and
Shaukat> MariaDB? Can I maintain both open and commerical versions of branded
Shaukat> MySQL Server solution?

If your application uses the LGPL libraries that we made from MariaDB,
then your application doesn't have to be open sourced.

See:
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-client-library-for-c/
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/licensing-faq/

Regards,
Monty
Creator of MySQL and MariaDB
Thread
What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingShaukat Mahmood Ahmad18 Dec
  • Re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingStewart Smith19 Dec
  • re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingMichael Widenius19 Dec
    • Re: What are Oracle / mysql licening terms for plugins and server embedingShaukat Mahmood Ahmad21 Dec