List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Guilhem Bichot Date:December 13 2012 7:49am
Subject:Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directory
View as plain text
Hello,

Weldon Whipple a écrit, On 12/12/2012 23:45:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Tianyin Xu <tixu@stripped> wrote:
>> Ok, so the two sets are disjoint.
>>
>> and "mysql-test/t" is kind of basic, and "mysql-test/suite" is more
>> advanced (according to Guilhem, it's created because t is not enough).
>>
> <snip/>
>

> That MIGHT be the case. (The original developers would know for sure.)
>
> I get the feeling, however, that in the beginning, there were few
> enough test cases that it "just seemed natural" to put the tests in a
> single "t" directory, and the expected results in a sibling "r"
> directory.
>
> As the product grew, it MIGHT be that it became difficult to think of
> meaningful test case names that didn't collide with tests already
> present.
>
> Also, as the number of test cases grew, I'm guessing that someone
> noticed that there were groups of related test cases that could be
> categorized (as related), so they decided to give those their own
> subdirectory within the suite subdirectory. (These "suite" directories
> seem to correspond to categories of functionality that has been added
> over time?)
>
> That's just a guess--I'm a latecomer to the MySQL world. ... But as
> I've snooped through the test cases, that's the feeling I get.

Good guess. That's how things happened.

> (It might be that the original test cases WERE in fact basic. Whenever
> I modify the code, however, it is important that EVERY test case in
> the test suite (both t and suite/*/t directories) passes. I want to
> make sure that even the "basic" [early?] test cases pass ...)

Tests in "t" are no more or less basic than those in "suite". Indeed,
all tests have to pass.

Thread
Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
  • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryGuilhem Bichot12 Dec
    • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
      • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryDavi Arnaut12 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
      • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryWeldon Whipple12 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
          • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryWeldon Whipple12 Dec
            • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryGuilhem Bichot13 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryBjorn Munch13 Dec