List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Weldon Whipple Date:December 12 2012 10:45pm
Subject:Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directory
View as plain text
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Tianyin Xu <tixu@stripped> wrote:
> Ok, so the two sets are disjoint.
>
> and "mysql-test/t" is kind of basic, and "mysql-test/suite" is more
> advanced (according to Guilhem, it's created because t is not enough).

<snip/>

That MIGHT be the case. (The original developers would know for sure.)

I get the feeling, however, that in the beginning, there were few
enough test cases that it "just seemed natural" to put the tests in a
single "t" directory, and the expected results in a sibling "r"
directory.

As the product grew, it MIGHT be that it became difficult to think of
meaningful test case names that didn't collide with tests already
present.

Also, as the number of test cases grew, I'm guessing that someone
noticed that there were groups of related test cases that could be
categorized (as related), so they decided to give those their own
subdirectory within the suite subdirectory. (These "suite" directories
seem to correspond to categories of functionality that has been added
over time?)

That's just a guess--I'm a latecomer to the MySQL world. ... But as
I've snooped through the test cases, that's the feeling I get.

(It might be that the original test cases WERE in fact basic. Whenever
I modify the code, however, it is important that EVERY test case in
the test suite (both t and suite/*/t directories) passes. I want to
make sure that even the "basic" [early?] test cases pass ...)

Feel free to correct any of my misperceptions (anyone) ...

Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
  • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryGuilhem Bichot12 Dec
    • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
      • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryDavi Arnaut12 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
      • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryWeldon Whipple12 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryTianyin Xu12 Dec
          • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryWeldon Whipple12 Dec
            • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryGuilhem Bichot13 Dec
        • Re: Question about test cases in "mysql-test" directoryBjorn Munch13 Dec